Friday, July 11, 2008

Tablet (Card) Weaving

I tried my hand at some basic card weaving after seeing some samples online and finding a tutorial I could actually understand. Here is a link to the tute: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shelagh.lewins/shelagh/viking_textiles/TW01/TW01.htm

It was really quite cheap to put together and easy once you get it setup, which is the confusing part. I used a synthetic string I got oodles of at a flea market. Not the best material for this project, but I'm learning. 6 huge spools that are over a foot wide by a foot tall of different colors for $1 each. Couldn't pass that up. I would have bought more, but I couldn't fit it in the trunk.


Tablet Weaving Sample

Tablet Weaving Sample

Tablet Weaving Sample

Tablet Weaving Sample

Just changing the orientation of each card creates all kinds of patterns. Mine turned out to be about 1/2" wide. And, this was only with 8 tablets. Imagine 20 or more! I should have pulled the weft string tighter to the band, but I wanted to see how well it would hold up loose so I could add danglies on the sides.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I'd love to be able to find bargains like that! grrrr